TheCable Fact Check
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Reading: FAKE NEWS ALERT: Tinubu didn’t stop five-year visa for US citizens, says presidency
Share
Latest News
Kò sí ọ̀rọ̀ tó seé gbàgbọ́ nípa ọ̀rọ̀ tó sọ pé Amẹ́ríkà kọlu Burkina Faso pẹ̀lú ohun ìjà olóró
No evidence sey US strike Burkina Faso with missiles
Babu wata hujjar Amurka ta jefa makamai masu linzami Burkina Faso
Ò nwéghị íhé ákáébe gósị́rị́ nà US tụ̀rụ̀ Burkina Faso bọ́mbụ̀
FACT CHECK: No evidence US struck Burkina Faso with missiles
FRSC sị̀ nà íhé ńgósị́ ébé ńdị́ ọ́rụ́ ha nà ónyé ọ̀kwà ụ́gbọ́àlà nà-ènwé ńsògbụ́ mèrè n’áfọ̀ 2020
FRSC sọ pé 2020 ni ìjà láàárín àwọn òṣìṣẹ́ àwọn àti onikẹkẹ maruwa tí áwọn ènìyàn ń pín fídíò rẹ̀ ṣẹlẹ̀
Viral video wey show kasala between keke rider and our officers na from 2020, na so FRSC tok
Advertisement
Aa
TheCable Fact CheckTheCable Fact Check
Search
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Follow US

FAKE NEWS ALERT: Tinubu didn’t stop five-year visa for US citizens, says presidency

Jesupemi Are
By Jesupemi Are Published July 10, 2025 3 Min Read
Share

The presidency has dismissed reports that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu revoked the issuance of five-year multiple-entry visas for United States citizens.

A statement on Thursday by Bayo Onanuga, special adviser to the president on information and strategy, clarified that Nigeria has not withdrawn the long-term visa privileges previously extended to US nationals, contrary to viral reports on social media.

The clarification follows a decision by the US government to reduce the validity period and number of entries for most non-immigrant, non-diplomatic visas issued to Nigerian citizens.

In an announcement on Tuesday, the US embassy in Nigeria said the affected visa categories will now be limited to single-entry and a three-month validity period

Reacting to public concerns and speculation that Nigeria may have triggered the change through a policy shift, Onanuga said Tinubu’s administration has, since its inception, directed that Nigeria should adhere to all bilateral agreements and apply the principle of reciprocity in diplomatic engagements.

Onanuga said the US government’s claim of reciprocity as the reason for its current visa policy towards Nigeria does not accurately reflect the actual situation.

He said the Nigerian government has not deviated from granting US citizens a five-year multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, just as the US has continued to grant the same to Nigerians.

“The ministry of foreign affairs and other senior government officials will continue to engage with the United States to address the unfavourable restrictions in a just and fair manner that reflects the mutual respect and partnership that so exist between our two friendly nations,” the statement reads.

“The 90-day single-entry Visa validity period only applies to the newly introduced e-Visas, a short-term visa category for tourists and business people who may not wish to undergo the standard visa application process and wait.

“The e-visa replaces the now obsolete Visa-on-arrival, which was inefficient and often used as a means of extortion. The e-visa is a fast, online process that does not require the applicant to go to the embassy. Applicants receive the e-Visa within 48 hours of submitting their application.

“The e-visa policy aligns with President Tinubu’s efforts to boost investment, trade, and tourism in the country, as well as promote the ease of doing business for non-nationals. Moreover, e-visas are a widely adopted global policy in dozens of countries.

“Although Nigeria has an e-visa policy for citizens of the US and several other countries, the US has not reciprocated this gesture for Nigerians.”

Onanuga said the Tinubu administration remains committed to strengthening bilateral ties and resolving any lingering concerns through dialogue and diplomacy.

TAGGED: Bola Tinubu, presidency, visa for US citizens

Please send your feedback, claims to fact check and corrections requests to [email protected]

Jesupemi Are July 11, 2025 July 10, 2025
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

POPULAR POSTS

Advertisement

Kò sí ọ̀rọ̀ tó seé gbàgbọ́ nípa ọ̀rọ̀ tó sọ pé Amẹ́ríkà kọlu Burkina Faso pẹ̀lú ohun ìjà olóró

Ẹnì kan tí ó ń lo Facebook, ohun ìgbàlódé íbaraẹnisọrẹ orí ayélujára tí sọ pé…

August 28, 2025

No evidence sey US strike Burkina Faso with missiles

One social media user don claim sey United States missiles hit Burkina Faso, causing Ibrahim…

August 28, 2025

Babu wata hujjar Amurka ta jefa makamai masu linzami Burkina Faso

Wani mai amfani da shafukan sada zumunta ya yi ikirarin cewa makamai masu linzami da…

August 28, 2025

Ò nwéghị íhé ákáébe gósị́rị́ nà US tụ̀rụ̀ Burkina Faso bọ́mbụ̀

Ótù onye na soshal midia ekwuola na a tụrụ ngwa agha US n'obodo Burkina Faso…

August 28, 2025
Advertisement
Advertisement

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

FAKE NEWS ALERT: We didn’t declare Iyabo Ojo wanted, say police

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has denied viral reports claiming that actress Iyabo Ojo was declared wanted for questioning. A…

Fact CheckFake News Alert
August 21, 2025

DISINFO ALERT: Photo showing European leaders ‘sitting outside Trump’s office’ is doctored

A viral photo purports that European leaders recently camped outside the office of US President Donald Trump in the White…

Fact CheckTop Stories
August 21, 2025

BLIND SPOT: Nigeria’s shortcomings in the age of AI scams

It sounded exactly like her, but it was not. Adeola Fayehun was thousands of miles away in the United States…

Exclusives & FeaturesFact CheckTop Stories
August 12, 2025

The rise of deepfakes and the fight for digital truth

BY PRUDENCE OKEOGHENE EMUDIANUGHE On May 30, 2025, a 49-minute video surfaced on a YouTube channel named Bold Pan-African, seemingly…

Exclusives & FeaturesFact CheckTop Stories
August 12, 2025

CableCheck seeks to provide reliable tools and resources for readers to tackle the menace of fake and misleading materials constantly pushed into the public space from various sources. We monitor the accuracy of claims made in traditional and social media. We also provide a tracker to hold politicians and policymakers accountable for the plans and promises they make to the public. CableCheck is a project of the Cable Newspaper Journalism Foundation (CNJF), supported by the MacArthur Foundation and implemented by TheCable newspaper.

Follow US: 

LINKS

  • Contact
  • About Us
  • Non-Partisanship Policy
  • Funding
  • Correction Policy
© Copyright TheCable. All Rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?