TheCable Fact Check
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Reading: FAKE NEWS ALERT: Lagos disowns viral memo on ‘abductions’ on Gbagada expressway
Share
Latest News
Da’awar cewa Davido da Chioma suna tsammanin ɗansu na uku karya ne
Òótọ́ kọ́ ni ọ̀rọ̀ tó sọ pé Davido àti Chioma ń gbaradì fún ọmọ wọn kẹta
Evidence no dey sey Davido and Chioma dey expect dia third pikin
FACT CHECK: Claim that Davido and Chioma are expecting their third child is false
AI ni wọ́n fi se fídíò tó sàfihàn pé àwọn ISWAP yin ìbọn fún ọ̀gá àwọn òṣìṣẹ́ ológun kan
Video wey show as ISWAP shoot army general na AI
Bidiyon da ke nuna harbin Janar na soji da ISWAP aka yi shi ne AI
DISINFO ALERT: Video showing shooting of army general by ISWAP is AI-generated
Advertisement
Aa
TheCable Fact CheckTheCable Fact Check
Search
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Follow US

FAKE NEWS ALERT: Lagos disowns viral memo on ‘abductions’ on Gbagada expressway

Abdullah Abdulsalam
By Abdullah Abdulsalam Published March 27, 2025 2 Min Read
Share
Gbagada expressway | File photo

The Lagos government has dismissed a report alleging that the state received a “critical security alert” from the police command regarding abductions on the Gbagada expressway.

A memo circulating on Thursday alleged a surge in kidnapping cases along the Gbagada expressway, claiming that criminals were using “one chance” tactics and Danfo buses to target commuters.

“We are writing to bring your attention to a critical security alert we have received from the Lagos state police command,” the memo reads.

“According to the information provided, there has been an increase in kidnapping incidents along the Gbagada Expressway.

“The perpetrators are employing the “one chance” method of targeting unsuspecting commuters.

“Report also says that they are utilizing “Danfo” vehicles carrying up to 5 individuals.

“In light of this alarming situation, we strongly urge everyone to exercise extreme caution when commuting through this area.

“Please remain vigilant and take necessary precautions to ensure your personal safety.

“Avoid late nights and if possible, consider alternative routes or means of transportation until the security situation is brought under control.

“We advise that you share this information with your family and friends, as heightened awareness and collective vigilance are crucial in maintaining the safety and well-being of our community.”

The memo was undated and not signed.

However, speaking with CableCheck, Gboyega Akosile, chief press secretary to Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Lagos governor, dismissed the report as false.

“The memo is not from the Lagos state government,” Akosile told TheCable.

CableCheck also found out that a similar claim had previously been debunked by the police on January 22, 2024.

TAGGED: abduction, Gbagada expressway, lagos state

Please send your feedback, claims to fact check and corrections requests to [email protected]

Abdullah Abdulsalam March 27, 2025 March 27, 2025
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

POPULAR POSTS

Advertisement

Da’awar cewa Davido da Chioma suna tsammanin ɗansu na uku karya ne

Wani rubutu ya yi ikirarin cewa tauraron Afrobeats Davido da matarsa, Chioma Adeleke, na kara…

November 28, 2025

Òótọ́ kọ́ ni ọ̀rọ̀ tó sọ pé Davido àti Chioma ń gbaradì fún ọmọ wọn kẹta

Ọ̀rọ̀ kan sọ pé Davido, gbajúmọ̀ akọrin àti Chioma Adeleke, ìyàwó rẹ̀ ń gbaradì fún…

November 28, 2025

Evidence no dey sey Davido and Chioma dey expect dia third pikin

One post claim sey Afrobeats star Davido and im wife, Chioma Adeleke, dey expect anoda…

November 28, 2025

FACT CHECK: Claim that Davido and Chioma are expecting their third child is false

A post claims that Afrobeats star Davido and his wife, Chioma Adeleke, are expecting another…

November 24, 2025
Advertisement
Advertisement

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

FACT CHECK: Claim that Davido and Chioma are expecting their third child is false

A post claims that Afrobeats star Davido and his wife, Chioma Adeleke, are expecting another child.  The claim was posted…

Fact Check
November 24, 2025

DISINFO ALERT: Video showing shooting of army general by ISWAP is AI-generated

A viral video has purportedly shown the moment Musa Uba, a brigadier general, was killed by insurgents in Borno state.…

Fact Check
November 19, 2025

FACT CHECK: No evidence Trump threatened to ‘capture’ Tinubu in 24 hours

A report claims that US President Donald Trump threatened to capture President Bola Tinubu within 24 hours without his security…

Fact Check
November 13, 2025

Anambra guber: Six misconceptions about BVAS, IREV voters should know

Elections in Nigeria have always been defined by controversies. Electoral malpractice, ranging from ballot snatching to result sheet manipulations, has…

Fact Check
November 7, 2025

CableCheck seeks to provide reliable tools and resources for readers to tackle the menace of fake and misleading materials constantly pushed into the public space from various sources. We monitor the accuracy of claims made in traditional and social media. We also provide a tracker to hold politicians and policymakers accountable for the plans and promises they make to the public. CableCheck is a project of the Cable Newspaper Journalism Foundation (CNJF), supported by the MacArthur Foundation and implemented by TheCable newspaper.

Follow US: 

LINKS

  • Contact
  • About Us
  • Non-Partisanship Policy
  • Funding
  • Correction Policy
© Copyright TheCable. All Rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?