TheCable Fact Check
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Reading: FACT CHECK: No, Finnish court didn’t approve Simon Ekpa’s extradition to Nigeria
Share
Latest News
Da’awar cewa Davido da Chioma suna tsammanin ɗansu na uku karya ne
Òótọ́ kọ́ ni ọ̀rọ̀ tó sọ pé Davido àti Chioma ń gbaradì fún ọmọ wọn kẹta
Evidence no dey sey Davido and Chioma dey expect dia third pikin
FACT CHECK: Viral photos of Chioma with baby bump is from 2023
AI ni wọ́n fi se fídíò tó sàfihàn pé àwọn ISWAP yin ìbọn fún ọ̀gá àwọn òṣìṣẹ́ ológun kan
Video wey show as ISWAP shoot army general na AI
Bidiyon da ke nuna harbin Janar na soji da ISWAP aka yi shi ne AI
DISINFO ALERT: Video showing shooting of army general by ISWAP is AI-generated
Advertisement
Aa
TheCable Fact CheckTheCable Fact Check
Search
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Follow US

FACT CHECK: No, Finnish court didn’t approve Simon Ekpa’s extradition to Nigeria

Ayodele Oluwafemi
By Ayodele Oluwafemi Published April 24, 2025 5 Min Read
Share

On Tuesday, some social media users and blog sites made a post claiming that a Finnish court has approved the extradition of Simon Ekpa, the controversial Biafra separatist, from Finland to Nigeria.

The judgment was said to have been delivered at the Päijät-Häme district court in Lahti on April 18, 2025.

The post was widely shared on X (formerly Twitter), Facebook, and TikTok. The viral post was accompanied by an AI-generated picture showing Ekpa in an attire that appears to be from a prison uniform.

Popular blog sites like Instabloggja and Nigerian Stories published the post.

“Finnish Court Approves Simon Ekpa’s Extradition to Nigeria. Simon Ekpa, the controversial Finnish-Nigerian separatist agitator, will be extradited to Nigeria following a Finnish court ruling on April 18, 2025,” part of the post reads.

Reno Omokri, a former presidential aide, referenced the viral post on Ekpa in a comment published via X on Wednesday.

Daily Times, a national newspaper with about one million followers across social media platforms, also amplified the post about Ekpa’s extradition.

On Wednesday, the newspaper published the picture for its front page for Wednesday’s edition. The picture shows that the viral post on the purported approval of Ekpa’s extradition by a Finnish court was the cover story of the newspaper edition.

Other versions of the viral post have been archived here, here, here, and here

BACKGROUND

Ekpa was arrested in Finland on November 21, 2024, by law enforcement agents over alleged terrorism.

He was subsequently sent to prison by the district court of Päijät-Häme for “spreading terrorist propaganda on social media”.

Ekpa was said to have committed the crime in 2021 in Lahti municipality.

He is accused of instigating violence and inciting terror in the south-east of Nigeria through his social media pages.

Before his arrest, the controversial Biafra agitator was using his social media platforms, especially on X, to incite violence in the south-east region, especially against security agents and public institutions.

Nigerian authorities have been demanding the extradition of Ekpa, a dual citizen of Finland and Nigeria, for prosecution. However, the effort has not yielded the right result.

Last year, Mikko Laaksonen, the senior detective superintendent at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Finland, disclosed that a Finnish district court fixed May 2025 for the prosecution to file charges against Ekpa.

Subsequently, Laaksonen said Ekpa would remain in custody until his trial since the alleged offence was not bailable.

Recently, Kaarle Gummerus, Ekpa’s new lawyer, said Ekpa will appear in court in June 2025 to face trial.

VERIFICATION 

CableCheck conducted online searches on the websites of Yle, a broadcasting organisation in Finland, and the Päijät Häme district court. There was no credible information suggesting that a Finnish court ordered the extradition of Ekpa to Nigeria.

Although Nigerian authorities have indicated their intention to seek Ekpa’s extradition, it remains unclear whether a formal request has been submitted to Finnish authorities or when extradition proceedings might begin in court.

When CableCheck contacted Gummerus via email, he said no court in Finland has taken such a decision.

“I can confirm to you that no decision has been taken in Finland. I have no information on the matter, so no such decision could have been taken,” the lawyer said.

“I wonder who is spreading such information.”

In an email sent to CableCheck, Laaksonen said Finnish NBI is unaware of any court order about the purported extradition of Ekpa.

“NBI has received similar information from different sources. However, NBI is not aware of any decisions regarding extradition that is related to the investigation in question,” Laaksonen said.

VERDICT

The claim that a Finnish court has ordered the extradition of Ekpa to Nigeria is false.

TAGGED: extradition, Finland, Simon Ekpa

Please send your feedback, claims to fact check and corrections requests to [email protected]

Ayodele Oluwafemi April 24, 2025 April 24, 2025
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print

POPULAR POSTS

Advertisement

Da’awar cewa Davido da Chioma suna tsammanin ɗansu na uku karya ne

Wani rubutu ya yi ikirarin cewa tauraron Afrobeats Davido da matarsa, Chioma Adeleke, na kara…

November 28, 2025

Òótọ́ kọ́ ni ọ̀rọ̀ tó sọ pé Davido àti Chioma ń gbaradì fún ọmọ wọn kẹta

Ọ̀rọ̀ kan sọ pé Davido, gbajúmọ̀ akọrin àti Chioma Adeleke, ìyàwó rẹ̀ ń gbaradì fún…

November 28, 2025

Evidence no dey sey Davido and Chioma dey expect dia third pikin

One post claim sey Afrobeats star Davido and im wife, Chioma Adeleke, dey expect anoda…

November 28, 2025

FACT CHECK: Viral photos of Chioma with baby bump is from 2023

A post claims that Afrobeats star Davido and his wife, Chioma Adeleke, are expecting another…

November 24, 2025
Advertisement
Advertisement

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

FACT CHECK: Viral photos of Chioma with baby bump is from 2023

A post claims that Afrobeats star Davido and his wife, Chioma Adeleke, are expecting another child.  The claim was posted…

Fact Check
November 24, 2025

DISINFO ALERT: Video showing shooting of army general by ISWAP is AI-generated

A viral video has purportedly shown the moment Musa Uba, a brigadier general, was killed by insurgents in Borno state.…

Fact Check
November 19, 2025

FACT CHECK: No evidence Trump threatened to ‘capture’ Tinubu in 24 hours

A report claims that US President Donald Trump threatened to capture President Bola Tinubu within 24 hours without his security…

Fact Check
November 13, 2025

Anambra guber: Six misconceptions about BVAS, IREV voters should know

Elections in Nigeria have always been defined by controversies. Electoral malpractice, ranging from ballot snatching to result sheet manipulations, has…

Fact Check
November 7, 2025

CableCheck seeks to provide reliable tools and resources for readers to tackle the menace of fake and misleading materials constantly pushed into the public space from various sources. We monitor the accuracy of claims made in traditional and social media. We also provide a tracker to hold politicians and policymakers accountable for the plans and promises they make to the public. CableCheck is a project of the Cable Newspaper Journalism Foundation (CNJF), supported by the MacArthur Foundation and implemented by TheCable newspaper.

Follow US: 

LINKS

  • Contact
  • About Us
  • Non-Partisanship Policy
  • Funding
  • Correction Policy
© Copyright TheCable. All Rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?