TheCable Fact Check
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Reading: FACT CHECK: Bloodied picture of Olumide Oworu, LP Lagos assembly candidate, is from movie set
Share
Latest News
Viral post wey claim sey dem don pass ‘Cybercrimes Act 2025’ no correct
Ózí na-ekwu nà é mepụ̀tálá ìwú megidere cybercrime bụ̀ àsị́
Irọ́ ni fídíò tó sọ pé Nàìjíríà ti sọ ‘Cybercrimes Act, 2025’ di òfin
Hoton hoto hoto ko bidiyo mai zagaya yanar gizo da sauri akan hanyar ”Dokar Laifukan gizo 2025′ karya ce
Fídíò Tinubu níbi tí ó ti ń rọ́ kẹ̀kẹ̀ mọ̀ àwọn ọmọ Nàìjíríà nítorí pé wọ́n pe ọ̀rọ̀ rẹ̀ ní AI kìí se òótọ́
Bidiyon Tinubu na barazana ga mutanen dake kirar maganar a matsayin AI, hadawa akayi
Video wey Tinubu dey threaten citizens wey call im statements AI na fake
Íhé ńgósị́ ébé Tinubu nà-àbárá ńdị́ ná-ákpọ́ ókwú ya AI bụ̀ ǹkè é nwòghàrị̀rị̀ énwòghárị́
Advertisement
Aa
TheCable Fact CheckTheCable Fact Check
Search
  • Home
  • Fact Check
  • Fake News
  • Check Am For Wazobia
Follow US

FACT CHECK: Bloodied picture of Olumide Oworu, LP Lagos assembly candidate, is from movie set

Lanre Olagunju
By Lanre Olagunju Published March 17, 2023 3 Min Read
Share

A bloodied picture of Olumide Oworu, the Labour Party (LP) candidate for Surulere LGA 1, in the Lagos house of assembly, has been circulating on social media. 

On Thursday, TheCable had reported that suspected thugs disrupted the campaign of Oworu in the Iponri area of Surulere, where one person was said to have been injured. 

Earlier on Thursday, through a tweet shared on his Twitter handle, Oworu said his team was attacked while campaigning on Tuesday, adding that the case has been reported at the Iponri police station.

“My team and I were attacked on Tuesday as we attempted to campaign at Iponri, Surulere. A member of my team was injured, but we are thankful the incident didn’t escalate past the level it was. The case has been reported at the Iponri police station,” the tweet reads.

“I am not deterred by the incident. Instead, I am more committed to seeing this through. We will pass through the wards in constituency 1 (Akinhanmi/Cole, Adeniran/Ogunsanya, Iponri Housing Estate/Eric Moore, Igbaja/Stadium, Shitta/Ogunlana Drive, Yaba/Ojuelegba). See you outside!”

I am not deterred by the incident. Instead I am more committed to seeing this through. We will pass through the wards in constituency 1 (Akinhanmi/Cole, Adeniran/Ogunsanya, Iponri Housing Estate/Eric Moore, Igbaja/Stadium, Shitta/Ogunlana Drive, Yaba/Ojuelegba). See you outside! pic.twitter.com/QwmCZcGpx1

— Olumide Abiodun Oworu (@OlumideOworu) March 16, 2023

 

Oworu, popularly known as Tari in the Africa Magic series, The Johnsons, is contending the Surulere LGA I constituency seat with Desmond Elliot, another actor cum politician, and candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

On February 23, a few days before the presidential election, Oworu announced his candidacy to represent Surulere I constituency, under the LP.

My name is Hon. Olumide Abiodun Oworu, and I am here to serve. Thank you for your support. #Lumi2023 #ObiDatti2023 #HouseOfAssembly #Surulere #LabourParty pic.twitter.com/wmprOrDyZQ

— Olumide Abiodun Oworu (@OlumideOworu) February 23, 2023

Following the report of the attack, a picture of Oworu, appearing to be bleeding on the face and head, started circulating on social media. 

Some social media users were quick to link the recent attack to the bloodied picture of the actor. 

“APC is a Negro version of the Nazi Party. Look at what they did to the LP candidate in Lagos,” reads a tweet accompanied by an Instagram screenshot. 

https://twitter.com/UchePOkoye/status/1636436449196220421?s=20

“Hope the whole world have seen what Desmond Elliot did to Olumide. This won’t stop his retirement. It’s inevitable,” reads another tweet, which has now been deleted.

His only crime was to contest against the failure called Desmond Elliot 😢😢

Look at what APC thug did to Olumide @PoliceNG @HQNigerianArmy @NgLabour

MC Oluomo Unilag Jandor pic.twitter.com/RbeKffBHxv

— OLA MI LEKAN (@Onlineguru_) March 16, 2023

VERIFICATION

TheCable ran a Google reverse image search on the circulating picture of Oworu and found that the picture has been on the internet since 2022.

On October 3, 2022, Oworu posted the circulating picture on his Instagram page with the caption: “Alagbado John Wick #OnTheEdge ”

Other versions of the same photo can be found on the Instagram page of Carina Ojoko, a special effect make-up artist.

VERDICT

The circulating image of Oworu is old and misleading. 

The five-month-old image was from a movie set, On The Edge. It has no connection with the recent attack on the LP house of assembly candidate in Surulere.

TAGGED: bloodied, Desmond Elliot picture, Olumide Oworu, Surulere LGA 1

Please send your feedback, claims to fact check and corrections requests to [email protected]

Lanre Olagunju March 17, 2023 March 17, 2023
Share this Article
Facebook Twitter Email Copy Link Print
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

POPULAR POSTS

Advertisement

Viral post wey claim sey dem don pass ‘Cybercrimes Act 2025’ no correct

One post for social media platforms claim sey di national assembly don pass di “Cybercrimes…

August 30, 2025

Ózí na-ekwu nà é mepụ̀tálá ìwú megidere cybercrime bụ̀ àsị́

Ózí a hụtara na soshal midia kwuru na ụlọ ọme iwu Naijiria emeputala iwu megidere…

August 30, 2025

Irọ́ ni fídíò tó sọ pé Nàìjíríà ti sọ ‘Cybercrimes Act, 2025’ di òfin

Ọ̀rọ̀ kan lori àwọn ohun ìgbàlódé íbaraẹnise orí ayélujára sọ pé ilé ìgbìmọ̀ asòfin àgbà…

August 30, 2025

Hoton hoto hoto ko bidiyo mai zagaya yanar gizo da sauri akan hanyar ”Dokar Laifukan gizo 2025′ karya ce

Wani rubutu da aka buga a dandalin sada zumunta ya yi iƙirarin cewa majalisar dokokin…

August 30, 2025
Advertisement
Advertisement

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

FACT CHECK: Viral post on passage of ‘Cybercrimes Act 2025’ is false

A post across social media platforms claims that the national assembly has passed into law the “Cybercrimes Act 2025”. The…

Fact Check
August 29, 2025

MISINFO ALERT: Video of Tinubu threatening citizens who label his statements as AI is doctored

A video showing President Bola Tinubu threatening Nigerian citizens who label his statements as AI-generated has gone viral on WhatsApp.…

Exclusives & FeaturesFact Check
August 29, 2025

FACT CHECK: No evidence US struck Burkina Faso with missiles

A social media user has claimed that United States missiles hit Burkina Faso, prompting Ibrahim Traoré, junta leader, to retaliate.…

Fact Check
August 27, 2025

FAKE NEWS ALERT: We didn’t declare Iyabo Ojo wanted, say police

The Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has denied viral reports claiming that actress Iyabo Ojo was declared wanted for questioning. A…

Fact CheckFake News Alert
August 21, 2025

CableCheck seeks to provide reliable tools and resources for readers to tackle the menace of fake and misleading materials constantly pushed into the public space from various sources. We monitor the accuracy of claims made in traditional and social media. We also provide a tracker to hold politicians and policymakers accountable for the plans and promises they make to the public. CableCheck is a project of the Cable Newspaper Journalism Foundation (CNJF), supported by the MacArthur Foundation and implemented by TheCable newspaper.

Follow US: 

LINKS

  • Contact
  • About Us
  • Non-Partisanship Policy
  • Funding
  • Correction Policy
© Copyright TheCable. All Rights reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?